What is the Susan Jordan Summer Reading Challenge?
A reading challenge for all current K-5 students in Lawrence Township Schools.
● Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd Graders have a goal of 240 minutes each month. (at least 20 minutes a day, three days a week)
● 3rd, 4th and 5th graders have a goal of 480 minutes each month. (at least 30 minutes a day, four times a week)
● All students are to respond to at least 2 books. (see attached response sheet)
● All students are to complete attached reading log with a parent/guardian signature to be eligible for the school celebration in
All students must respond to at least two books. (see response sheet linked below)
Reading Response for Grades K, 1 & 2 English
Reading Response for Grades K, 1 & 2 Spanish
Reading Response for Grades 3 - 5 English
Reading Response for Grades 3 - 5 Spanish
All students must complete the June and July reading calnedar (linked below) with a parent/guardian signature.
June & July Calendar Reading Log for Grades K, 1 & 2 English
June & July Calendar Reading Log for Grades K, 1 & 2 Spanish
June & July Calendar Reading Log for Grades 3 - 5 English
June & July Calendar Reading Log for Grades 3 - 5 Spanish
How can I earn minutes?
- Lexia (must be done in addition to reading books)
- Books and other resources with text you have at home (i.e. newspapers magazines)
- Books and resources with text from the public library (INDYPL)
- Overdrive (INDYPL)
The June and July calendar reading logs and response sheet must be signed by a parent and minutes verified by your new teacher. If the reading logs and response sheet are turned in by August 6th you will be invited to an ice cream party held at the school. The top reader from each grade group (1-2,3-4,5-6) will be chosen from each school to represent that school at a Readers Are Leaders
luncheon with their principal.
The top reader from each grade level group (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) from across the district will be recognized by Dr. Smith at a School Board meeting and receive a Readers Are Leaders
When is it due?
August 6 – Turn in your signed reading logs to your school teacher or principal.
Click here to watch to video and learn more!